7 IT Department Components
Let’s define exactly what all IT support can entail. When most people we meet say they are looking for better / different IT support, all they think of is help desk support and projects. So we will start there and expand:
Service / Help desk / Support team
- One or more onsite or remote individuals that helps fix problems or make minor changes that your staff requests.
- A department of project engineers that implements more significant changes like network and server upgrades and installations of new solutions.
- Even if not named, all IT support models have a list of solutions they try to standardize on to give you more predictable results. Patch management, monitoring, antivirus, antispam, disaster recovery, backup, cloud services, security training / testing, etc.
Virtual CIO / Fractional CIO
- Again, even if not named, everyone will give you advice on what you should do with technology though there is a dramatic variance in the results. The results start with that of a Virtual CO (Captain Obvious) that tell you to replace your equipment every 5 years and reach their peak with CIO’s that lead you in digital transformations that accelerate your business goal attainment and efficiency.
Alignment / System Analysts
- Think of this department as the technology auditors.
- Analysts look for misalignments with the sole purpose of reducing issues caused by IT and optimizing the solutions that are in place.
- Most people that we meet with are looking for “proactive” support, which we have only seen provided by the inclusion of this component of the IT department with dedicated individuals that do not work on fixing problems, but exclusively on preventing them.
- System Analysts create the misalignment reports, so that the Virtual CIO / Fraction CIO can successfully steer the business to achieve higher results.
Application / Software Development
- Responsible for the creation and integration of proprietary systems for small or medium businesses.